I read a brilliant post by one of my really good friends Sarah, who blogs over at Extraordinary Chaos – entitled ‘You know you live with boys when…’ It got me thinking about what it is like living with, and raising twins. And what it is REALLY like to be a Mum of toddler twins. So, you know you’re a Mum of twins when…
- We have to buy two of everything. And if the toy/sweets/present is slightly different in any way, then we are in big trouble!
- I never sit down. I can’t remember the last time I had a nice, relaxing day! Maybe when I was heavily pregnant – just before they arrived?!
- The house has never been so noisy. When they go for a nap/go out I realise just how loud they are! The house is always full of chattering, banging, crashing and walloping! They literally never stop talking to me. And unless I answer their question instantly they carry on asking!
- I get attention from everyone, all the time. People are fascinated…and honestly, I quite like it. It makes you realise how special they are.
- The washing basket never empties. The washing machine never stops whirring; I’m always trying to get clothes dry! I love the summer when I can fill the washing line with clothes!
- I always seem to be food shopping. We only ever seem to have a full fridge for a few hours after we’ve filled it! They are only 2.5 years old but I always seem to be feeding them! Someone is usually always having a growth spurt and wants “more Mummy!”.
- I can’t even put into words how tired I feel on a daily basis. Even with a good nights sleep!
- Looking back through photo’s of them as babies is overwhelming. It makes your heart melt seeing them so little. Always together.
- It takes us so long to get ready in the morning. I feel as though I am spending hours getting ready to go out! Gone are the days of quickly jumping in the shower and getting out of the house! It’s usually bedlam; with “Where’s your shoes?” and “Find your coat” and then one twin, always, absolutely, without a doubt, fills their nappy!
- The house is full of toys. I spend most of my life picking things up and putting them into toy boxes. And that is no exaggeration. Who knows where the whole of Mr Potato Head’s body parts are? Because I don’t.
- Going out for the day is a huge feat. Co-ordinating nap times, feeding times; making sure everything packed for the day, ensuring they don’t run off, is not a job for the faint hearted or weak.
- Everything is a challenge. Just literally everything! But when you’ve conquered it, it makes you feel SO good!
- There’s always an argument. Baking with them usually results in a fight over holding the spoon, reading a story disrupts into chaos because one wants to sit in front. And if one is playing nicely the other will always ruin it! However, the next minute they are then cuddling, or chatting away together, or singing. And it’s makes you feel all warm inside.
- They hate to be apart. If one is playing in one room, the other will always be in there too!
- I can’t remember life before them! Wait…let me try….nope, still can’t remember!
- I cannot believe how addicted to coffee, diet coke, cake and chocolate I now am. Literally addicted.
- I amaze myself each and every day with how hard I work and how much I get through. And yet, I am still the happiest and most content I have ever been in my life. It’s totally all worth it.
Despite (most) of that list!, being a Mum of twins is the most rewarding, satisfying, terrific job in the world. Their relationship together is a joy to watch and their little personalities are truly amazing. Yes it’s hard – but it’s also BRILLIANT fun and so wonderful to be a part of and be experiencing too.
And having twins and being a twin Mummy is very, very, very special.